The need for a school nurse in an educational environment is unquestionable these days. The Nurse´s Room skillfully provides medical care for the students directly; to prevent, detect and resolve any health problems.
In our school we have Escarla Godiño-Ríos working with us. She has a Nursing Degree, advanced training in Nutrition and has done post-graduate qualifications in mental health. She has experience as a nurse in the Andalusian Health Service, in the Spanish Red Cross and in nutritional clincs; she has also taught at the University of Málaga.
Her tasks as School Nurse include:
- First aid in school accidents
- First response in common illnesses
- Administering medication authorised by the family, with or without medical prescription as required
- Helping with treatment and care of students with chronic illnesses: asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, high blood pressure, cystic fibrosis, spina bifida….., contributing to their socio-educative integration
- Epidemic vigilance at school
- Health education for students, as well as prevention campaigns
- “Health Workshops” for mothers, fathers and guardians – free voluntary group sessions to learn more about health
- Basic vital support in cases of allergies and other emergencies
- A first point of psychological assistance in emotional issues
- Collaboration in child protection and safeguarding